Browsing Tag:


Dress/ Dressmaking/ Evening Dress

Gold & Silver Evening Dress

On a fabric shopping trip sometime back in the summer my husband spotted a gold/silver shimmery jersey fabric and suggested that it would make a lovely evening dress for a forthcoming festive dance, so who was I to discourage him! I purchased the remaining 3 metres left on the roll and took it home for deliberation. As Christmas approached I had a scan through my patterns, I found a suitable vogue design, but this dress needed a bit of lace adding to it. So armed with a sample piece of the gold jersey I set off to a local fabric store and found a lovely piece of border tulle lace fabric.

Vogue Pattern

Fabric & Lace















I felt that the shoulders of the design where possibly a little to narrow for me so I adjusted the front & back bodice pattern pieces at the shoulder line making them wider. 

  Bodice 1



The upper front lace inserts are cut along the border and attached to the lover front pieces.

The centre front line is gathered giving shaping for the bust.




 Back Bodice


I hand stitched a diamante trim at the centre back opening, back neck and around the armholes,




Bodice 2


…….and the centre front.

The bodice was stitched to an ‘A’ line skirt. Along with a ruched belt which defined the waistline.




With the remainder of the lace trim made this little bolero jacket to complete the ensemble.

Lace Bolero Jacket Back Bodice 2



Bra/ Dressmaking/ Knickers

The Cloning of a Bra

I was having a little trouble with my bra just lately, the underwire was trying to make a break for freedom, so on examining what I would needed to do in order to repair it I thought ‘just how difficult can it be to clone one that I know fits me well?’


I set to and carefully unpicked all the parts from just one side of the bra being very careful to remove the stitching only and not to cut into the fabric, this took me a good hour to do. I carefully pressed each bra piece and copied it to a paper pattern.  

P1090628 P1090630 P1090631

Using lace and a firm powernet I placed and cut each pattern piece in the correct orientation on the fabrics – the stretch goes around the body! I used both the sewing machine and the overlocker to construct the pieces together, carefully pressing between each stage. I used a lovely picot edged lingerie elastics, boning channeling for the underwires and finished it off with a bow – of course!

I have now made 3 altogether and along with a pair of matching briefs I was utterly pleased with my achievement!!

P1090638 P1090632

Dress/ Dressmaking/ Jacket

Sue & Ted’s Wedding

About 18 months ago I got engaged to my wonderful man, Ted, and since then I have spent many months thinking about and designing my own wedding dress. My engagement ring is an aqua marine and this was the deciding influence on the colour for my dress. 

The main body and skirt of the dress is made from a duchess satin with a lace underskirt decorated with pearl beads which just shows through at the front, I also used the lace for the 3/4 length sleeves and finished the edging around the neckline and top sleeve with more of the lace edging. The back has a laced up panel and by using 4 laces it created a lovely finish I think. It has a structured boned bodice with 12 boning channels and a hook & eye fastening at the back to keep it secure, it was very comfortable all day.

I was unsure of the weather and how warm or cold it might be on the day so I made a bolero jacket to go with it. I used piping to edge continuously around the collar and front and lower edges and also the shaped sleeves. I then added some lace inserts in the sleeves to reflect the skirt of the dress.

The dress and jacket is underlined with both silk organza and a brushed cotton for warmth and of course fully lined.

I also made some lace and fabric flowers which were added to my bouquet.


The Joy’s of an Overlocker

I have been out fabric shopping again, yes I am a bit of a fabric addict, and came across a black, white and grey stretch lacy fabric that I thought would make a long top to go over a pair of trousers or leggings. So on Sunday morning I considered the options of teaming my lacy fabric with a black cotton lycra and some black stretch lace trim I had in my stash.

The Fabric

The lacy fabric only has a one way stretch so I had to be careful in which direction to cut out the pattern pieces. The stretch should be placed around the body for ease of getting the garment on and off. I cut the back bodice, lower front bodice, top yoke and upper and lower sleeve pieces from the fabric. I cut bands from the black lycra to go across the bust and the sleeves. As my stretch lace trim is only 1.5 inches wide I stitched lengths of it together to create wider bands for the bust and the lower sleeve.

Ready to Sew

All cut out I was eager to start making it up and the best machine for this is the overlocker!! I stitched together the bands to create the complete front bodice along with the sleeve pieces. I then attached the front and back bodices at the shoulder seams and cut the neck band from the black lycra. After trying on the garment to assess the shoulder width and armscye curve I was able to set in the sleeves. The sleeve and side seams were stitched in one and I added more lace trim to the hem of the top and sleeve and hey presto a pretty modern top was born in less than 3 hours!!!

top3 top4 top2 top1